Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Breaking Up the Past

We have a tradition in the mountains called "Breaking Up Christmas". The parties start on Christmas night and extend to January 6, referred to as Epiphany by some, but called "Old Christmas" by my Granny. In this hectic world where it is so hard to cram in all the activities before Christmas, I think it is the perfect time to revive this tradition. It is a gentler transition into the New Year, and it is a reminder of how important friends and family are; everything else is secondary.

This Christmas was so special to me and to Woodrow because we were able to go home to the hills and visit with family and friends he has never met. They loved him, of course. Especially my uncle who brought a banjo and a guitar to the family dinner and commented, "Ah heard you could pick some."

In all the commotion, one of my cousins commented on how I used to be introverted. Now, introversion is a relative term (as the pink boa illustrates), but it was true. I struggled so with being myself. If there is one reason life with Woodrow is so right, it's because I am truer to myself than in the past, and so is he, I believe.

You know, it's been pounded over your head with a rolling pin, but BE YOURSELF!!!!! TOTALLY YOURSELF!!!!

Then, and ONLY then, will the Woodrow or the Dixie you find be truly connected.

So why on earth are we all so afraid of being ourselves? I don't know. If you figure that one out, let me and Dr. Phil know. There is a struggle between acknowledging your uniqueness and yet how similar we are is the conflict of the ages.

After failing miserably at love, or something like it, I thought that having things in common was very important. It is. But what should you have in common?

Not necessarily interests or hobbies. That's nice, but not the glue that binds you. What you must have in common are VALUES!

Now, this means you need to know what you VALUE. When I look around at friends who are foundering miserably and going from one encounter to another like Aunt Hazel scarfing the Chex Mix, this is the most common flaw I see. How can they enter wisely and lovingly into a relationship when they don't even know what theythemselves hold dear? Faith? Family? What does that mean? Home? What kind of home? What kind of life?

Think about these things as you are breaking up Christmas. Think of who you are, who you bring into this New Year and what kind of people you want to surround yourself with. Be patient, with others, but most importantly with yourself.

Love yourself. Love your life. Be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment