Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fried Chicken Wins


You know, this is really funny. Of all the dishes that y'all selected as most Southern, it was the one we least often had at home.

We had fried catfish real often when I was a child. Daddy would go fishing with Cousin Larry over on New River and we'd have trout and catfish like crazy. I can still remember Daddy getting choked on a bone. It was a lot cheaper to kill a fish than a chicken, and way more fun.

Granny made the best pan-fried chicken in the world. This is not the same as Colonel Sanders. It was fried in her cast-iron frying pan and was heavily peppered. The best chicken that is what most people would consider "traditional Southern chicken" was that made by Billie Karns at the truckstop on Sundays. Folks would leave church and head to the truckstop for Billie's fried chicken, chicken gravy and biscuits. And the coffee was incredible. Billie was one of the best cooks I have ever known. And then there cakes, made by Billie's sister, Kathyrn. To die for.
My sister, Berniece Denise, reminded me that Billie's niece, Diana Lowe, owns ASAP Restaurant, back home on South Main Street. ASAP stands for "As Southern As Possible." She makes fried chicken the same way her Aunt Billie did. Y'all stop in!
Since that poll has closed, I'm asking for all y'all to give me your opinion on what the theme song of the South should be. No musicians will be harmed, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment